Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Co-dependency

The top bossman asked me to stay on another four weeks (mind you, I was supposed to "demobe" (demobilize) on Monday and they only got around to asking me to stay today (Satuday.) They are sending the vast majority of everyone home and keeping a few of the strongest people to fix up some of the trouble spots (namely my county and the neighboring big city, which I call Biloxi).

It is a nice recognition that they wanted me to stay. I decided to accept, but I had mixed feelings.

Working here is a little like being married to an alcoholic. The marriage isn't working, but you see the potential for good. You remember how optomistic you were when you said yes initially. But, life is not living up to that potential.

You decide to leave. You tried, you gave it your best and it didn't work.

But the alcoholic begs you to give it one more chance. Your head says no, alcoholics don't change so quickly, not without going to AA, and this alcoholic says she will go cold turkey. But your heart says, think of all the good you could do if it is true.

The best hope is that my boss won't be team lead any more. Perhaps then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home