Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

PZ

I met with Liz Plater-Zyberg, the PZ of DPZ.

I like her a lot. She is the chair of the University of Miami School of Architecture. She is trying to figure out the next steps for the County to rebuild. I had a very good conversation about strategies to use. I guess I felt like she was more open to discussing ideas.

Duany is very personable and is a a good listener, but it is almost that he takes the information you give him and makes quick judgements about how it affects the rebuilding. He is sharp so often his instincts are right, but still, converasations with him are not the most satisfying.

While I like much of what DPZ is proposing, I am worried that it is not appropriate for the county. Pre-storm, 75 percent of the houses sold for less than $100,000. The county was blue collar bubbas and coon asses. They shopped at Walmart and were happy doing it. They fished and hunted and drank beer. They coached little league.

I am worried they will not fit in in the new Jefferson Davis.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description of the place sounds about right to me. Every time i went to Jeff Davis County i went there to the Walmart for building supplies to reconstruct my termite-eaten house.
OK- i did go there a few times for the thrift stores and this one place that was renowned for their macaroni and cheese.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home