Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Consultants

I have been busy as of late helping two groups of consultants that are coming to town. The first, DPZ, are going to do a design charette, where they spend a week helping the community figure out what type of architecture they want to see in their country.

The second group of consultants is working on a plan about what part of the country will be redeveloped and what part will go to green space.

I have to say, it is very nice to be busy. Mostly, I have been running around gathering data and sending it off to the consultants, which is fine.

I am especially looking forward to DPZ’s work. They are one of the top firms in the nation at what they do. I think it will be pretty interesting to see how they structure their activities.

I am fairly concerned about the other group. They are going to produce a plan that says a large part of the parish is off limits to development. They will back this up with a rigorous, logical analysis. The problem is, when you tell someone they can not rebuild their homes, they don’t care about logic. They react from their gut.

I have been advocating a interactive process where we work with the public to help them understand the harsh choices that the county has to make. I argue that in decisions that are emotional and value based, you need to involve the public from the beginning. You can not present a finished product and ask people to except it. I am concerned we will meet the same fate as New Orleans, where the plan went down in flames.

Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home