Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Shopping hell

I went grocery shopping today. I usually like grocery shopping but it doesn’t work so well here. Many of the grocery stores are closed so you need to drive great distance to find a store. Then, the stores are packed to the gills and the produce, clearly from before Katrina, may actually be left over from world war two. In any case, today was the worst shopping experience I have ever had.

I went to an upscale, overpriced grocery store in the snooty part of town. The first problem was that there were no shopping carts. I don’t know if the looters walked off with them or if the store is so overcrowded that they are all in use. In any case, I had to find someone unloading their groceries and hang out next to them until they were done. So I did that and got a cart and start shopping. The place was so crowded all the lines for checkout went down the aisles so it was not possible to walk between aisles in the front of the store.

What’s worse, as I walked around the store, I was getting this stream of little pin prick shocks, like static electricity. I tried to ignore it, but it was annoying. I figured out that the theft control device on the shopping cart was malfunctioning, but I figure it was not such a big deal that I need to go try to wrestle a cart away from another person.

Then a big ass shock zaps my thumb. It felt worse than being hit with a ruler, but not as bad as being hit with a hammer. Hours later it still hurt.

Some lady seems me jump and says, “Is your cart shocking you too?” Evidently it is a common problem. Then I was scared to touch the cart, but it was half full of groceries so I could not abandon it. I guided it with my foot (and occasionally a finger) to the checkout and begin the 30 minute wait to pay.

As I pay I explained to the checker about the malfunction and she says, “Ha ha ha, That’s funny.” Funny my ass!! I asked if there was a manager and she pointed to the customer service station, which had its own line stretching ten people deep.

So I left and went home. The tragedy is that I could not even finish shopping and I will have to go to a different store tomorrow to get the necessities I could not get today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home