Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Night From Hell

Night from Hell

The people from my company called. They said I was in big trouble for not retuning the rental car (which they provided at the government tab). They told me I was only allowed to keep it for two months and then I had to check back in with Hertz. I told them I had only had it a month and a half. They said it did not matter, Hertz thought it was stolen and I had to return it to Biloxi, where I initially picked it up, almost two hours away!

Feeling very clever, I came up with a solution. Call and tell them that it was not stolen! This was not possible, I was told, because Hertz needed the mileage. The brilliant problem solver that I am, I came up with a new solution, I would tell them the mileage! Again, the answer was no. Maybe I could return the car in Gulfport, where I am based? Nope, it had to be Biloxi. They wanted me to exchange the car for a new one and to do that in Gulfport, two hours away, would cost $3,300!

After much arguing, I agreed to return the car the next day. Then came the kicker. They did not have any additional cars for me to rent. I would have to return it and then go to a new rental car company to get a new car. This seemed like a lame excuse because they did not know what day my car was being returned, so why couldn’t I just rerent it?

So, after work I drove up to Biloxi and turned in my car and picked up the new car. I met some friends for a bite to eat and headed back to Gulfport. It was almost 1 am and I was finally almost home, maybe 10 minutes away. I started thinking about my apartment and thought, where are my keys. I started to panic, patting down my pockets, etc.

I then realized I had left them on the key chain when I returned the old rental car! Turning around and going back to the rental place would put me home at 5 am and besides the rental place would probably be closed. I decided to call the rental place and make sure they did not rerent the car before removing my keys.

I tried to turn on the internal light in the car, so I could dial my phone, but being a stupid new car, I could not find the light. And then I saw the bad flashing lights behind me.

In the process of looking for my keys and the light I did not stay in my lane, and a cop saw me.

So the cop pulled me over and told me I was swerving. I apologized and explained that I had switched cars and my apartment keys were on the old chain.

Having none of it, he asked if I had been drinking. I told him I had one glass of wine three hours ago and honestly the reason I did not stay in my lane was because I was looking for my keys and the light. He made me get out of the car and do the DUI walk and a couple of other tests. Of course I passed and he let me go (concluding that it was tiredness that made me drive so poorly). (I felt like asking him if he was dumb and reminding him that I had already explained twice what the problem was). I did not say anything and drove away.

Then I realized the bozo had forgotten to return my drivers license. Here I was with no way to get in to my apartment, scheduled to catch a flight in 12 hours and no ID!

Luckily, I had only driven 50 feet and he was still in his car doing whatever it is cops do after they let someone. I got out of the car and pointed out that he still had my drivers license, which he then returned.

So, I tried to check in to several different hotels, but because of the storms everyone was booked to capacity. I eventually broke in to the club house at my apartment / condo complex (using a credit card) and spent four and a half hours sleeping fitfully before heading in to work, wearing the t-shirt and jeans that I wore on my drive.

(The next morning the rental agent gave me a new set of keys and life was returned to normal)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home