Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Foods for Pregnancy

Indians are very sensitive to foods that cause internal heat, a concept that is mostly foreign to us. Pregnant women are supposed to avoid these foods, especially if it is hot out. Guess which of these foods are verboten for Yona while on the sub-continent.
A) Apples
B) Lemons
C) Papayas
D) Mango
E) Saffron
F) Cumin
G) Red (Chili)Pepper
H) Sesame
I) Vinegar
J) Onions

Clue - Five of the above foods are forbidden. Five are allowed. Good luck guessing.

5 Comments:

Blogger TravelinFam said...

I'll guess 1. pineapple, 2. pepperoni, 3. beef tendon, 4. steelhead trout, 5. buffalo wings (actually, these should be avoided by preggos and non-preggos alike!)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Kate and Jordan said...

Saffron, Cumin, Pepper, Vinegar and Onions??

3:16 PM  
Blogger TravelinFam said...

ok I have to admit I did a little research so I know that a few of my answers should be correct anyway. I say papya, cumin, red pepper, sesame and onions.
In an article debunking this concept I did however learn that pregos actually should avoid green or unripe papaya as there is a chemical that could cause miscarriage. I also learned that tumeric is a powerful antibiotic which could be one reason for its popularity in India. I feel a slight cold coming on and I will now make myself a nice cup of tumeric tea.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Dorian said...

I think you should avoid conflict, like with parking attendants and stuff. Strife causes more internal heat than a little sesame. . .

By the way, I'm guessing apples are ok.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Naresh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home