Josh and Yona's Blog of Many Things

Josh started this blog when he was doing disaster recovery work after Hurricane Katrina. Now it is mostly our travel blog.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Boss

Another old entry that I was slow to put up…

I have been having a fabulous last couple of days in New Orleans. I attended the Jazz Fest, which probably had the greatest line up of musicians since Woodstock. (I know that is a strong statement, but I believe it is true) Dylan, Springsteen, Dr. John, The Meeters, Ani Difranco, Fats Domino, Dave Mathews Band, Jimmy Buffett, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello, Sonny Landreth, on and on, and at $30 a steal!

Despite that list of national acts, 92 percent of musicians at Jazz Fest are local. Most of those are also phenomenal. Listen to Troy “Shorty” Andrews at http://www.tromboneshorty.com/Listen/
Or Bonerama at
http://www.bonerama.net/audio.html

On Sunday, Bruce Springsteen was the grand finale. I was almost decided to not attend, figuring The Boss would do a bunch of the same tired songs I have heard a million times. There were too many great smaller bands playing at the same time that I wanted to hear. Then I reconsidered, concluding that I would never pay for a ticket to hear Springstein live, so I minds well take advantage of the opportunity.

I am really glad I did. Backed by the 18 piece Seeger Band, he played a fresh and inspired mix of gospel and folk / protest songs. While some of his songs were upbeat, brassy New Orleans swing others literally had much of the audience crying.

Two songs that stood out were City of Ruin, which he wrote about Asbury Park, NJ, but resonated strongly in post-Katrina New Orleans and surprisingly, When the Saints Go Marching In.

His version of Saints was unlike anything I have ever heard. Instead of the normal clichéd up-tempo triumphant march, (Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call/Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call/Lord, how I want to be in that number/When the trumpet sounds its call)

Springsteen almost prayed (Some say this world of trouble/ Is the only world we'll ever see/ But I'm waiting for that morning/When the new world is revealed).

His performance, in front of a crowd number over 100,000, was the most intimate, emotionally charged music I have ever seen. I can’t think of anything that is even in competition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home